Gwendolyn Toth

Gwendolyn Toth is the director of the New York City-based early music ensemble, ARTEK, and a soloist on early keyboards (organ, harpsichord, fortepiano). She is married to harpsichordist Dongsok Shin, and they have three children.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

An entire summer can't be all about organs and harpsichords

Yes, I admit, I had yet another little getaway a week after arriving home from Europe: I flew out to Sun Valley, Idaho, to visit my friend Nancy Quaife in order to ice skate for a week and GET BACK INTO SHAPE (hah! we're talking w-a-a-a-y too much Italian pasta and Dutch cheese) for the coming skating season. Sun Valley is pretty special - perfect weather: 75 degrees in the day, cool at night, every day beautiful and sunny). The outdoor ice at Sun Valley is amazing - it feels so free to whirl around under the sun yet be on ICE. I was working on ice dancing - a form of ballroom dancing on ice. I've learned, but definitely not mastered, the first 5 dances. Nancy and I made a trip up the ski lift to the top of the mountain, where there were great views. Wonderful and relaxing. (OK, I left out the part about arriving in Boise at midnight (Mountain time) Sunday, then driving 3-1/2 hours to Sun Valley...let's see, did I just stay up a whole night Eastern time?...but hey, my body still didn't have a clue what time is was anyways, after Europe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment